My name is Ashley Bishop Lapierre (she/her) and I am a Registered Psychologist in Calgary, Alberta. I provide individual and couples counselling to adults (18+). I work with many types of clients from different backgrounds and different concerns but I tend to focus more on women's mental health and couples counselling.
Outside of Career
I hold many satisfying and fulfilling roles including wife and mother. I was born and raised on Cape Breton Island and have been living in Calgary for over a decade. I love the mountains but I still miss the ocean so I enjoy visiting the east coast when I can. I have a creative side that I honour through crafts, fashion, and design. I am an animal lover and enjoy being outdoors. My favourite self-care includes scented candles, really long baths, and good psychology book.
Why I became a Psychologist
I developed an interest in Psychology in high school and went on to do my undergraduate degree in Psychology. I became fascinated with learning about human life - why we might think a certain way, act a certain way, feel a certain way. Humans are so complex and interesting!
Then, I realized I could use this information to help people and I went to graduate school to study Counselling Psychology. Once I was able to start providing therapy, I was hooked. It felt natural and I knew I wanted to continue so I completed my training and pursued licensing.
I feel privileged to be able to sit with people as they overcome huge hurdles and go on to life their best life. I am often amazed at the strength, resiliency, and courage I see in my clients on a daily basis. I see hope and strength in clients even when they can't see it themselves. I thrive when my clients thrive.
I continue to be fascinated by the subject of Psychology. I treat professional development more like a hobby than an obligation; I am a life-long learner. I am passionate about using Psychology and Counselling to help people through difficult periods. I am committed to increasing the dialogue around mental health struggles and ending stigma.
I have a Bachelor of Arts Degree with Honours in Psychology from Cape Breton University (2008) and a Master of Science Degree in Counselling Psychology from the University of Calgary (2013). I completed the Post Graduate Counsellor Training Program at the Calgary Counselling Centre (2015) and I am licensed as a Registered Psychologist with the College of Alberta Psychologists since 2015.
I have spent the beginning of my career working in a non profit counselling agency where was able to work with a wide variety of clients and presenting issues. In April 2018, I launched Hopeful Horizons and have been specializing in women's mental health since.
I stay up to date by engaging in frequent professional development trainings and readings including training in EMDR Therapy (2020) and became a Certified Perinatal Mental Health Professional (PMH-C / 2020).
Professional Development Training
As a life-long learner with a true passion for psychology and a desire to offer my clients a meaningful and helpful therapy experience, I engage in a significant amount of professional development training. Here is a list of the relevant trainings I completed:
- The Advanced Practice of EMDR for Perinatal & Infant Mental Health (2022). Centre for Creative Mindfulness/Touchstone Institute (Mara Tesler Stein)
- The Art of Holding Perinatal Women in Distress: Assessment, Treatment, & Advanced Clinical Practice (2021). The Postpartum Stress Centre Professional Perinatal Training Program/ Karen Kleiman
- Working with the Spectrum of Eating Disorders within the EMDR Approach (2021). Andrew Seubert & Pam Virdi/ EMDR Advanced Training & Distance Learning
- Birth and Reproductive Trauma (2021). Canadian Perinatal Mental Health Trainings
- Intensive Sex Therapy Program (2021). University of Guelph/ Markie Twist
- Easy Ego State Interventions (2021). Robin Shapiro/EMDR Advanced Training & Distance Learning
- Healing Shame with Self-Compassion (2021). Christopher Germer/ Mission:Empowerment
- Trauma-Informed Interventions for Working with First Nation Clients: A Masterclass Series on Historical Trauma & Strategies Across the Life Span (2021). Envision/ Shelley Pompana Spear Chief
- 32nd Annual Boston International Trauma Conference (2021). Trauma Resource Foundation
- Emotional Eating, Chronic Dieting, Bingeing and Body Image: What Every Clinician Needs to Know (2021). Judith Matz/PESI
- Eating Disorders: From Image to Illness (2021) Crisis & Trauma Resource Institute
- International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals Virtual Symposium and Core CoursesI (2021)
- Postpartum Support International Conference (2020 & 2021)
- Advanced Perinatal Mental Health Psychotherapy Certificate (2020). Postpartum Support International
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy Level 2 (2020). The Gottman Institute
- Loving Bravely: Introduction to Relational Self-Awareness from the Outside-In to Inside-Out (2020). Alexandra Solomon, PESI
- Advanced Perinatal Mental Health Psychotherapy (2020). Postpartum Support International
- EMDR Foundational Training for Perinatal Mental Health Specialists (2020). Centre for Creative Mindfulness/Touchstone Institute (Mara Tesler Stein)
- Traumatic Birth: Prevalence, Impacts and Implications for Clinical Practice (2020). Professional Education Program Monmouth University
- Sex and Perinatal Mental Health Conference (2020). Maternal Mental Health Now
- Evolution of Psychotherapy Conference (2020 & 2017). Milton Erickson Foundation
- Perinatal Loss: A Framework for Healing (2019). Bina Bird
- Interpersonal Neurobiology (IPNB) for Perinatal Mood Disorders and Birth Trauma (2019). Portland Community College/ Fawn McCool
- Women's Mental Health Day Conference (2018). University of Calgary Cumming School of Medicine
- Maternal Mental Health Certificate Training for Clinical Professionals (2018). Postpartum Support International/ 2020 Moms
- Healing from Infidelity: Professional Program (2017). Michelle Weiner Davis
- Developmental Model of Couples Counselling Level 1 (2015). The Couples Institute
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy Level 1 (2014). The Gottman Institute
- Feedback Informed Treatment: training, consultations, and practice (2014-2017). Calgary Counselling Centre/ Scott Miller
- Integrated Theory Seminars (2014). Calgary Counselling Centre
Lets work together!
Contact me to book an appointment!