Perinatal Mental Health
“We don’t have to do all of it alone. We were never meant to”
Being a mom/parent is tough. Whether you are in the perinatal period (preconception, pregnancy, and 12 months postpartum) or beyond, know you are not alone in your struggles.
Early in my career, perinatal mental health was not on my radar. That changed when I had a child of my own. My personal journey into motherhood involved pregnancy complications, traumatic birth, NICU stay, and huge identity and lifestyle shifts. I learned first hand how vulnerable this season of life can be for moms, birthing people, partners, and families. I also realized how little mental health supports there were for people struggling in this area(this was in 2017 – more supports have been established in the years since, but it is still an underserved area of concern).
Once I worked through my own healing, I started training to develop this specialty and became Certified in Perinatal Mental Health (PMH-C) in 2020.
I am passionate about providing mental health treatment to moms and birthing people in this vulnerable period. These experiences can be tough and you do not need to navigate through this alone.
What is PMH-C?
PMH-C stands for Certified Perinatal Mental Health Professional. This is a relativity new designation (est. 2018) from Postpartum Support International and is quickly becoming the standard for therapists working in this area.
To obtain this certification means that, at minimum: I completed basic and advanced trainings in perinatal mental health, have at least two years experience working with the perinatal population and successfully passed a competency exam. It also includes a commitment to continue education and training in this area.
To develop my specialty, I completed extensive training in this area and will list the major trainings below so you can take comfort in my skills and knowledge. I’m here to help!
- The Advanced Practice of EMDR for Perinatal & Infant Mental Health (2022). Centre for Creative Mindfulness/Touchstone Institute (Mara Tesler Stein)
- The Art of Holding Perinatal Women in Distress: Assessment, Treatment, & Advanced Clinical Practice (2021). The Postpartum Stress Centre Professional Perinatal Training Program/ Karen Kleiman
- Birth and Reproductive Trauma (2021). Canadian Perinatal Mental Health Trainings
- Postpartum Support International Conference (2020 & 2021)
- Advanced Perinatal Mental Health Psychotherapy Certificate (2020). Postpartum Support International
- EMDR Therapy Training for Perinatal Mental Health Practitioners (2020). Centre for Creative Mindfulness/Touchstone Institute (Mara Tesler Stein)
- Sex and Perinatal Mental Health Conference (2020). Maternal Mental Health Now
- Traumatic Birth: Prevalence, Impacts and Implications for Clinical Practice (2020). Professional Education Program Monmouth University
- Perinatal Loss: A Framework for Healing (2019). Bina Bird
- Interpersonal Neurobiology (IPNB) for Perinatal Mood Disorders and Birth Trauma (2019). Portland Community College/ Fawn McCool
- Women’s Mental Health Day Conference (2018). University of Calgary Cumming School of Medicine
- Maternal Mental Health Certificate Training for Clinical Professionals. (2018). Postpartum Support International/2020 Moms
Areas of Practice
Within Perinatal Mental Health, I help clients work through many concerns, including:
- Depression/Anxiety in Pregnancy and Postpartum
- Birth Trauma
- Pregnancy Loss
- Trying to Conceive
- Mom stress and burnout
- Postpartum Rage
- Body Image
- Work/Life Balance
- Relationship Dynamics